The disease was recognized as an outbreak late last year.
The disease is caused by Listeria bacteria which is found in food items such as meat and unpasteurized milk.
On Monday, health authorities said a poultry abattoir where the bug had been detected has been closed.
Health Minister, Motsoaledi, has urged South Africans to practice basic food hygiene:
#Listeria 101 - Prevention:Environmental Health (@envirohealth_za) January 9, 2018
1. Do not drink raw milk, and eat foods that have unpasteurized milk in them.
2. Wash hands, knives, countertops, and cutting boards after handling and preparing uncooked foods.
3. Rinse raw produce thoroughly under running tap water before eating.
Listeriosis is now considered a notifiable disease.
The disease is described as a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics if diagnosed in time.